Entrepreneur; Manager; Technician

I PICKED up my copy of E Myth mastery by Michael E. Gerber again after leaving it on my shelf for about half a year now. My aim was educate myself on the right way to prepare a business proposal of my new book.

Re-reading the book reaffirmed as well as gave me new insights of philosophies I have grown to believe. It reassured me that I can make it if I follow what is written in the book.

For the purpose of reminding myself what I was and what I'm avoiding, I shall quote a passage from the book.

"The Technician goes to work in his business, doing everything he can possibly do to survive. He invests everything he has, and everything he doesn't yet have - his future, his home, his time, his relationships, his life, his options, everything - to get something he never clearly identifies or defines. He has an approximate vision, a vision of being on his own, a vision of being his own boss, a vision of financial independence, a vision of an idealized lifestyle that he's heard about in a seminar, or tasted in an infomercial, or read about in a self-help book, or heard about from his uncle, of miracles that happen without risk, without work, not truly knowing what that is, other than a dream of being a hero to his family, to himself, a dream of making it, like all the stories he has read or imagined."

The "Technician" mentioned here is not your everyday technician. It refers to the characteristic of a person. This book defines a person by 3 characteristics in their character, Entrepreneur, Manager and Technician. We all have the 3 characteristics, just that the dominant one is different.

The Technician is one who will keep on doing a stuff because he needs to do it and because it is the only thing he knows how to do and is good at it. It is the description of most self-employed people. The quote is the reason why most self-employed people never get ahead.

The passage quote got to me so strongly that I read and read it 3 times. It described perfectly what my thought process was before.(moneythology.blogspot.com/2008/12/revelation.html) It was such a repulsive description that I detested myself for having such thoughts. It was this passage that gave me the confidence that if I follow what the author is trying to tell me, I can avoid being a "Technician". The notion that I was once thinking like a Technician threw me into reality. That quote provided me a much clearer description of my previous predicaments before my enlightenment.

It is hard to put into words what my full emotions were when I read that quote. It is as if the author understands me and is trying to tell me something. It has this comfortable feeling that I finally found a guide to guide me towards success. I feel safe. I feel that this is it, my answer.

One other quote that clearly described what I went through recently was:
"I tried to turn the ideal into the practical. I tried to use it to become something it was never meant to be. The journal (blogging) was the discovery of myself. I turned it into a tool to define myself."

I started blogging to discover myself, but I ended up trying to define myself. This resulted in me losing my passion to continue blogging. Blogging turned from a wonderful sharing experience into a hungry monster I have to feed everyday. Soon, the fun was lost.

Now that I know what was going on, I can be better able to apply it and overcome not only to the simple task like blogging but everyday stuff that requires passion to complete.

I wish I can put down all the new things I have learn here. But it was so overwhelming that I'll be too tired to do anything else after I'm done.

For those who like to buy the book, you can get it online through Amazon.com


No comments: