My New Book

I'm writing a picture book targeted at children and teenagers from age of 6 to 12 years old. This book's aim is to educated the young people on the subject of money. This book will be published June 2009, so watch out for it.

I've been working on the draft for some time now, gathering my research materials and making notes from books I've read. I've decided to come out with my brand of theory about money.

Amateurish and over-ambitious as I might have sounded, my declaration itself served more purpose than mere self-boosting of ego. Think about it this way, my vow of publishing a book will motivate me to go ahead with the hard work required to put together a quality reading material as my honor is at staked here.

Even if my book doesn't sell, I can get so much more than mere profits. The hundreds of hours going through notes and articles, time and thought put into the book will enhance my knowledge of the money world, it will also force me to read up on a lot more materials than I'm currently exposing myself to. I'll grow more in terms of knowledge than financially. So I see no harm in writing my book, only endless benefits. The money made is a bonus.

The name of the book will be called MoneyThology - My First Big Book Of Money. I'm intending to write a whole series of 10 books, each book will cover various aspects of the financial world.

It's a picture book, with illustrations and words, so I'll also have to work on the graphics and aesthetics aspect of the book. I'm a graphics person, pictures excite me more than words. For readers who don't know about the current diploma that I'm pursuing(I didn't include this info anywhere on this blog as I do not want to be known as someone with that profession, its merely on interest that I took up the course, more on this topic in future), I'm dappling in the digital media. In elaborated terms, I'm studying about the new digital forms of communicative art.

I'm going to translate the wisdom that dozens of authors have passed on to me into pictures. Picture books on money targeting children are painfully little or even non-existence. I shopped around in the children section of a book store, most of the books do not teach children about money. There were dinosaur mini encyclopedias, phonics, science experiments, human body fact books, and lots of fiction and fairy tales.

Money is a subject that cannot be classified into age groups. You can have a 56 years old who doesn't know as much a 23 years old. It's a subject about being aware, the earlier you are aware of money, the more likely you'll do well in this subject. There's no right or wrong in money. This is proven by the age-old economists whom tried to devise the perfect money policy that lasts forever, non of them ever have their theories implemented forever.

Money is a subject that is ever changing, its something that the more you are exposed, the more likely you'll understand and integrate it into your own understanding. Money works best the way you understand it. If your understanding of money is that it comes from hard labour, it most certainly will dictate how the rest of your life will be like.

Here's the big secret, no matter how hard you try, you can never escape from money. Its evolution has come to a point where the disappearance of money will throw us all into chaos. So instead of avoiding it, why not try to understand what it can do for you. This way, you'll have a great ally instead of a fearsome master.

Now back to the book I'm writing. As I've mentioned, I'm writing a series of 10 books. I've highlighted a few topics that I'll be including in my book, the content is not really out but I've a rough idea what I want to do.

Here are some pointers that I've noted down that I want to write about

Fact based contents
  • The origin of money(e.g. from barter to gold pegged)
  • The evolution of money(e.g. from gold pegged to today's currency)
  • Laws concerning money(e.g. banking loan rate, investment laws protecting the investors)
  • Different careers and their contribution to the economy
  • Various economists and a look into their life and policies, their impact on the world
  • Profiles of successful people and their characteristics
  • Various investment vehicles in the financial world
Analogy based contents
  • Concept that anyone with an income can amass wealth
  • Concept that the right mindset can determine success
  • Illustrates that the friends around us will determine our future
  • Illustrates that time management is important
  • Demonstrates the importance of having goals
Now here's what so exciting about my book. I'm creating a fictional world. It has always been my childhood fantasy to create my own world. This time round it's bigger and more purposeful. Instead of magical worlds where there are angels, demons, dragons or monsters, this world will be the perfect utopia where the concept of money can be better illustrated.

Here's why. In the real world, we have something called the undetermined fate, we cannot see pass the choices we do not understand, therefore, we cannot foresee our future. In this world, I abolished the law that gave power to fate. I abolished the thing called luck and thus no such thing as accidents. I bestowed upon my people equal amount of time that they can spend. I ruled that opportunities are equal for all, so in my world, you can never find a lottery booth or gambling den, everyone's probability of wining is the same, so there's no point trying out your luck. The scenarios given in my book is based on these rules, so its safe to assume that you as a citizen of my world(Moneyland) will live and die at the age of 100, will suffer no bad luck as to die in an accident. It is totally up to you to decide how to spend your life.

My aim? Not to conjure up fantasy, my aim is to reflect upon my readers, how similar Moneyland can be to the real world. In our world, there can be no accidents if you think about it carefully, everthing happened for a reason, caused by an effect.Time is ours to spend so you cannot blame anyone except yourself if you have no time.

Basically, time and opportunity is not what's stopping you from becoming rich, some other magic is at work, and you can find out what it is.

No comments: